How to Apply for Social Security in 2022?
What do you need to apply for Social Security in 2022? You must be at least age 62 for the entire month to be eligible to receive Social Security benefits. If you were born on the first or second day of the month, you meet this requirement in the month of your 62-nd birthday. If you were born on any other day of the month, you do not meet this requirement until the following month.
You can apply up to four months before you want your retirement benefits to start. For example, if you want your benefits to start in December, you can apply in August.
Social Security benefits are paid in the month following the month they are due. If you are due benefits for the month of December, you will receive your first check in January for December.
Gather Information You Need to Apply
Before applying, be ready to provide your Social Security number and information about:
- Dates of current and previous marriages, and where you were married.
- U.S. military service dates and branches.
- Employer names and dates for the past two years.
- Self-employment income and type of business.
- Bank information to set up your direct deposit.
- Information on family members who may be eligible to receive benefits on your record.
Social Security may ask for certain documents that need to be reviewed to process your application. These documents may include:
- Your Social Security card or a record of your number.
- Your original birth certificate, or other proof of your age. The original document(s), or copies certified by the agency that issued them, are required. No photocopies or notarized copies are acceptable.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship if you were not born in the U.S. and have not submitted proof for an earlier Medicare or Social Security claim. The original document(s) or copies certified by the agency that issued them are required. The expired, notarized, or photocopied documents cannot be accepted.
- A copy of your W-2 tax form(s) and/or self-employment tax return from last year. A photocopy is acceptable.
- A copy of your U.S. military service papers if you served before 1968. A photocopy is acceptable.
Review the Checklist for Online Retirement & Spouses Applications. Instructions on how to submit your documents will appear at the end of the online application.
How to Apply for Social Security ONLINE
Applying for Social Security online is the easiest way to complete your application. Follow these steps to apply online:
- To start your application, go to https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/ and click on “Apply Online for Retirement Benefits.” Read and agree to the Terms of Service. Click “Next.”
- Review the “Getting Ready” section to make sure you have the information you need to apply.
- Select “Start A New Application.”
- Sign in to your my Social Security account or create one. Click “Next.”
- Complete the application.
You can check the status of your application online using your personal my Social Security account. You also will receive a letter in the mail with Social Security decision.